Architects & contractors
Garage doors and overhead doors require significant expertise and experience to install and maintain. We’re proud to offer the highest quality products and services on the market. Moreover, it’s essential that you have accurate dimensions and specifications, or you risk an incorrect fit and lots of hassle. We’ll ensure that even the hardware matches up, providing a perfect fit and full functionality every time. With that being said, your choice of garage doors or overhead doors comes down to answering to some very specific questions.
Before choosing any overhead door system or new garage door, determine your needs by answering the following questions:
- How much traffic will the door be subjected to?
This information will help you determine the potential for mechanical and structural breakdown by considering the number of people and types of vehicles that will use the doors.
- Does the level of insulation matter? Do you require the door to be weather tight?
Energy costs can increase significantly if doors are not well insulated and weather tight. Additional considerations here include the efficiency of the motorized opening system. Size is also an issue – larger doors will increase energy costs.
- How often will the doors be used?
The frequency of use will determine many factors about your garage door or overhead doors, including the type of hardware and garage door opener. Heavy use will require different hardware and opening technology than light use.
- How much protection do you require?
Safety and security features are important considerations. Are you more concerned with preventing accidents or vandalism? Are break-ins a concern?
- How much lighting and what type of light is necessary?
Do you need a significant amount of natural light, or will a single small window in the door be sufficient? While more windows will increase the amount of light, they also decrease the door’s energy efficiency and thermal resistance factor. Additionally, multiple windows can reduce security.
- What unique conditions are present?
Local conditions such as high winds, corrosive fumes, bridge cranes, the threat of explosion and many other factors must be taken into account here.
After answering these questions, you can then begin to determine the actual dimensions of the doors. You’ll need to provide your contractor with several important pieces of information, including the following:
- Distance between the floor and the ceiling, or the first overhead obstruction
- Minimum clearance between two doors installed beside one another (must be at least 18 inches)
- Available voltage – this will apply to electric door openers and other accessories
Determining the right type of door for your application can be difficult. There are several options.
- Sectional Doors: These are exceptionally popular and a lot of the sectional doors installed in United States use 26-gauge galvanized steel with polyurethane foam insulation injected. It’s the best insulation available, and also provides additional rigidity, making these doors twice as strong as those made with other insulation types.
- Rolling Steel Doors: Rolling steel doors should be fire rated, and can be divided into two sections within your building. Fire ratings should be for more than 45 minutes of exposure.
- High-Speed Doors: Many applications actually require high-speed PVC doors within them to divide separate areas. These doors travel at 60 inches per second and offer many different benefits.
- Loading Dock Doors: Loading dock doors need to suit your specific needs, and there are many types out there, including those designed to work with lifts, hydraulic docks, mechanical docks and more. Safety accessories should also be chosen based on the type of door and dock combination.
Whether you ultimately opt for a loading dock door, a high-speed door, wicket door, sectional garage door or something completely different, you’ll find that International Door Corp. is able to provide a comprehensive solution to your needs. We have the experience and qualified installation technicians to ensure perfect fit and functionality the first time. Your peace of mind is our utmost goal.
When choosing garage doors or overhead doors, always look for components with the utmost in terms of durability and lifespan. Subpar materials will result in a frustrating, problem-filled ownership. Quality materials and craftsmanship also go a long way toward avoiding breakdowns and unexpected repairs. In fact, many customers are able to double their durability for 15% or less in terms of a price increase, something that pays for itself in the long run.
Finally, our Preventive Maintenance Program (PMP) helps ensure that your garage doors or overhead doors are always professionally maintained and kept in good repair. That maximizes lifespan and reduces the chance that you’ll experience significant problems.
We’d love to hear from you, whether you’re in the market for a new garage door, or need new overhead doors installed in your business. Contact us today at 1-800-244-9253.