Did you know that most garage owners have a dream vision for the space? Did you also know that not many get that dream? With years of stuff piling up and no real motivation to make a big change, that dream seems farther away each year. Yet the design and building enthusiasts at the HOUZZ website offer up some great tips and inspiring images to help you get started on making that dream garage a reality.
Here are their suggested steps:
1. Start with a sketch – Design the floor plan. Take measurements and get as specific as you like.
2. Create a budget – Go online and look for realistic prices from cabinet, flooring and building materials suppliers. What does the garage of your dreams seem to cost in terms of materials and other work? If it is outside of your reach (many garages are in the tens of thousands!), think about basics and then building on them later.
3. Start with the paint – This is a fast and super affordable fix that improves the look of the space. Also consider if painting the floors will work. Epoxy paints are a good choice for this.
4. Think about the walls – You can use wood or PVC panels for reliable storage of seasonal tools, bikes, ladders and more.
5. Don’t overlook cabinetry – If you don’t want exposed storage, think about melamine cabinets that keep things concealed and organized.
6. Don’t forget a workspace – It can be easy to overlook the benefits of a workspace. You can build one of affordable components and set it right along a wall.
7. Look up! – Many people forget the space overhead. There are easy to install suspended storage racks just for this purpose!
8. Don’t forget the door – When looking up, check to see if your garage door has space adequate to mount further suspended storage.
And While We Are on the Subject…
If you are looking to update the garage, why not consider the garage door. If it is non-insulated, unattractive or even failing, it is simple enough to change it. Just contact us anytime at 207-784-0622. We can head to your home or property, send an email quotation or steer you to our online design center. There, you can steal a few ideas from our image gallery and test out your favourite options on an image of your own home.